PROCEEDINGS OF THE NIGERIAN SENATE OF TUESDAY 7TH MARCH 2017
Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso moves for the approval of votes and proceedings of 2nd March 2017. Senator Akpan Bassey seconds.
1. Senator Ovie Omo Agege raises a petition and cites order 43 in respect of the leadership crises in the Labour Party as he officially decamps to the All Progressives Congress.
2. Deputy Majority Leader Bala Na'allah cites order 42 & 52 in regards to the circular by the Nigeria Customs Service on the 1 month grace to clear vehicles. Senator Na'allah says it a serious issue & urges his colleagues to look into its justification.
Sen Dino Melaye says it's impossible to import and clear a vehicle without the knowledge and corroboration of Custom officers. "We should not pay for the incompetence of the Customs Service." - Senator Dino Melaye
*PRESENTATION OF BILLS - FIRST READING*
1. Animal Health and Husbandry Technologies Bill, 2017 (HB. 320) by Senate leader.
2. Railway Loan (International Bank) (Repeal) Bill, 2017 (HB. 300) By Senate Leader.
3. Chartered Institute of Customer Relationship Management Bill, 2017 (HB.69) By Senate Leader.
4. Chartered Institute of Export and Commodity Brokers of Nigeria Bill, 2017 (HB. 85) By Senate Leader.
5. Chartered Institute of Directors of Nigeria (Est, etc) Bill, 2017(SB.424) by Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu .
*CONSIDERATION OF BILLS - SECOND READING*
1. A bill for an Act to Repeal the National Health Insurance Scheme Act CAP N42 LFN 2004 (SB. 278) by Senator Lanre Tejuoso.
"We need to ensure a health scheme that caters for the average Nigerian's Health. We need to include the participation of the private sector in the Nigerian health Scheme." - Sen. Tejuoso.
Deputy Majority Leader Na'Allah supports the bill & says its an innovative one for the country, it was tested in Kwara state & succeeded. "Any good govt must create a system which gives citizens direct access to Health Services." - Senator Barau Jibrin.
Senate President thanks Senator Tejuoso for the bill and says mortality is largely due to lack of basic health& d focus shuld be on health cover for all.
2. A Bill for Act to provide for Secured Transactions, Registration & Regulation of Security Interest in Movable Assets. , 2017 (SB. 261) by Senator Rabiu Ibrahim (Kwara South)
"This bill seeks to enhance micro scale business, finance movable assets & creates a means to collateral. This bill is one of the priorities of the 8th senate, good for economic recovery&access to capital" -Senator Ibrahim
"Nigerians are poor, Majority are small scale business owners and lack access to capital-Senator Ben Murray-Bruce. Senate President Bukola Saraki thanks Senator Rafiu Ibrahim and says the senates commitment is in the area of moving the economy forward.
"One of the ways to do this is through acces to finance for the small and medium scale enterprise." saya Senate President Bukola Saraki. The bill is referred to the C'ttee on banking and financial institution.
3. A Bill for an Act to provide for the Establishment of the Federal University of Agriculture, Kabba for due management & admin matters, 2017 (SB. 402) by Senator Dino Melaye.
"The legacy from creation by the great Ahmadu Bello should not fall by the road side. In the spirit of Awo, Zik, Ahmadu Bello we should let the bill pass. The bill will expand agric institution, exploit existing Agro-Infrastructure and need to develop new ones" - Senator Dino Melaye.
Senate President Bukola Saraki reads that the bill should be sent to C'mtte on Tertiary Institution and tetfund for further legislative input. Senate President thanks Senator Melaye & says such bills will help us diversify and make Agric the core of our economy.
4. A Bill for an Act to Amend the compulsory, free, universal basic education Act 04 to increase grant of FG & reduce State 2017 (SB. 374) by Senator Aliyu Wamakko
"We should provide children with good education and improve the standard of education."- Sen Rose Oko. Senate President Bukola Saraki reads that the bill should be referred to the C'mtte on education &says we hope to meet the standard of education required in the country
Senate President Bukola Saraki reads that the bill be referred to the Cttee on education & says we hope to meet the standard of education required in the country
5. A Bill for an Act to establish a Nationwide Toll-Free Emergency Number for Reporting of Emergncies throughout the Federation 2017 (SB.107) by Sen.Isa Hamman Misau (Bauchi Central).
The response of the emergency outfit is the main concern,we should be concerned about the quick and rapid response." - Senator Dino Melaye
"My problem is how the emergency response should be handled administratively, calls for an agency where someone in stress can call." Senator Gemade.
Senate President Bukola Saraki refers the bill to the committee on communication.
6. A Bill for an Act to provide for the establishment of the National Commision for Peace, Reconciliation and Mediation to identify conflicts and for the supervision, coordination and monitoring of all peaceful resolutions between governments organizations in Nigeria 2017 (SB. 74) by Senator Shehu Sani
"I'm convinced that the bill will reduce conflict, promote peace and unity among citizens." Senator Sani. Where there is no peace, there is no development & progress, if the bill is established, problems will be identified." -Senator Philip Gyunka
Senate President Bukola Saraki refers the bill should be sent to the Committee on Judiciary and legal matters.
Senate Plenary is now adjourned to Wednesday 8th March, 2017.